Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day for the Ketchams

In retrospect to yesterday's Father's Day adventures I say...."It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times..."  Come on, now, let's just be honest.  The pressure of the day to be a perfect day for dad tends to become too much when reality of our imperfect lives make the day, well, let's just say, different than expected or anticipated.  I don't have anything against days set aside to honor the ones we love the most, but I find myself discouraged and feeling like something is wrong with me because I'm just not feeling everyone's Face book posts of the awesomeness of the holiday at hand.  In reality, I'm sitting around thinking how disappointed my family member must be (or how disappointed I am) because, quite frankly I just want to do what I do every Sunday after church, and that is sleep!  Even on Mother's Day!  Imagine that!  Sleep!

The reality of our day was that my husband did get to spend the morning solving the everyday dilemmas of a Sunday morning at church.  Less than pleasant?  Maybe.  But we, as a family, happen to find great contentment EVERY SUNDAY in being with one purpose to fulfill the call of Children's Ministry that God has placed on our lives.  Then, after church, we were able to spend time at our oldest daughter's house.  My husband enjoyed time with the kids for a few hours (ok, so my nap was going to have to wait a little while).   As the day progressed, we experienced less than desirable events that will go down in the history books as "Lessons Learned As A Parent", but it's all a part of this journey we're on called parenting.  At least, right in the middle of it, I trust God that he's got it under control.  And, it's all part of God's plan to grow us into what He wants us to be.  I'll learn to be content with right where I'm at:  between totally imperfect and crazy to boot!  I also waited until after my nap AND a good night's rest to write a post on this (because who wants another perfectly painted, distorted picture that leaves someone desiring to have a day just like me).

No comments:

Post a Comment